One of the Uninsured Millions

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 by Alex R. Cronk-Young


Last year on my 25th birthday Blue Cross Blue Shield gave me exactly what I was hoping for; they jacked up the price of our health insurance. This big increase in a monthly bill was too much, so we canceled our plan entirely so that we wouldn't be overwhelmed with the incoming Christmas season. For several months the three of us joined the millions of other uninsured Americans.

Because of new laws and such, at the start of the year someone can be on their parents insurance until they're 26, regardless of marriage or living situation. So my wife got back on her parents insurance to ride out one more year. Apparently the insurance companies claim that a retirees insurance doesn't count though, so I can't get back on my parents. Personally, I think that's just a load of shit loophole they're clinging to until someone tells them to shut up and abide by the new laws, but I guess I'm going to fall through the cracks no matter what the outcome of that is.

We put Emmy on Medicaid, something we'd always avoided doing. It's not that we don't agree with government-funded programs to help people out, we just disagree with signing up for them unless you absolutely need to. There's no sense in bleeding the system dry by going on Food Stamps and Medicaid and everything else just because you're below the income limit. If you can get by without government assistance, then by all means leave more for the people that desperately need it.

With them out of the way we are now left to decide what to do about me. Currently we're looking at plans that are really only for emergencies. Something like $60 a month, with thousand dollar deductibles and absolutely no office appointments. Stuff that is really just in case I get in a horrible car accident or my kidney explodes or something. It's definitely not the lap of medical-coverage luxury.

I'm not really complaining, just laying it all out there for posterity's sake. You know, I rooted for Obama over Hillary back in the primaries because I thought he'd fight for universal healthcare. Sure, Clinton claimed she would as well, but back when her husband was in office she brought up that battle and it didn't take very long before she completely gave it up, so I didn't think she would fight very hard this time either. But Obama couldn't get it done either. We'll get by one way or the other, but I wish this country would stop being so stupid about it and get it passed. There are a lot of people out there that are far worse off than we are.

1 Response to "One of the Uninsured Millions"

.
Brian S Says....

Our disgrace of a government would rather spend money on warfare...but I'm going to stop before I get into a huge rant.

Leave A Reply