Zombie Sundays

Posted on Sunday, January 09, 2011 by Alex R. Cronk-Young


My sleep schedule is eternally screwy because of my job. On Mondays through Fridays The Grand Rapids Press is an afternoon paper, meaning I don't have to deliver until around Noon. Not bad at all, but once it comes to the weekend things get messy. On Saturdays I have to wake up at about 3:30 AM, and on Sundays I start at midnight. There is pretty much no sleep routine that fits well into that schedule.

So every Saturday I get only three or four hours of sleep, then power through the day until five or so when I go to sleep again. After waking up at 11PM and doing papers all night long, I have the choice of going to sleep at some point on Sunday and remaining on a screwed up system, or staying awake for 24 hours to get back on my schedule for the week. I usually try the latter, and it means reaching a zombified state of existence at some point in the day.

I'm productive enough in the morning, but somewhere I hit a wall and tasks that require more than a handful of thought are all but impossible for me to complete. I've been writing this for several hours already. I mostly just stare at the same sentence for about 25 minutes and then stumble my way onto the next. It's not exactly the best way to write, but you're probably going to have to come to expect it from me on Sundays what with this whole one a day thing.

I made apple streusel muffins earlier for no real reason. They got a little too done on the bottom, but they're alright. I actually made them because I found the box in the middle of the living room floor after we took the Christmas tree outside. Emmy likes to take her toy shopping cart into the kitchen and empty out the cupboards of all of our baking-type products. You'll always find boxes in any and every nook and cranny of the living room.

Later I watched some late '90s action flick called Fled with Stephen Baldwin and Laurence Fishburne. I didn't really pay attention, but I think they were fleeing from someone. Now Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist just ended. It seemed alright, but seemed to meander and get a little boring. Could just be the commercials that dragged it out though.

I just got an email with a review code for the Costume Quest DLC. It's not exactly Christmas anymore, but I think I'm gonna go play through that. Maybe. I forget when I ate last. Hmm.

Oh, I'll try to write next Sunday's one a day as early as possible so I can avoid another completely pointless article like this one. If you made it to the end of this, I'll give you an apple streusel muffin. Just don't eat the bottom of it.

No Response to "Zombie Sundays"

Leave A Reply